Monday, October 11, 2010

My first week


During the first week of my internship at the Tempe division of parking and transit services was spent being cross-trained in several departments. I was cross trained in enforcement, cashiering, and Booth operations. I was assigned to an experienced staff member, who trained me in each of these areas. The reason for the cross training was so that I would be able to fill in for anyone who was out sick or on vacation. As I had already been trained in permit sales I was not further cross trained in that area.  During the course of my internship I did fill in for both enforcement and permit sales.

The associate director for parking and transit also explained to me at this time that he had a special project that he would need me to handle in the upcoming weeks.  This project was to survey, evaluating, and analyze the impact on our current handicap parking space inventory by implementing the new ADA suggested measurements for handicap parking spaces.  This was the one of many projects that I would do in the course of my internship

6 comments:

  1. How would you rate your experiences? I know as a student who has been on the receiving end of the ticket system, I have a preconceived view of the parking and transit system? How did you view them prior to the internship and how do you view them now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the survey. Those were never my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which area that you were trained in do you like best and why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible work Mike. We are indeed in need of as programs. The light-rail system makes it flexible for many citizens to go around their business. I personally do not have to purchase a car now unless my residence changes. By the way, I'm in your program of studies, and I recognize you from the class as well. Congratulations on your May graduation!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cross training can be key to the success of any company. It's good to hear the program you are working with is incorporating cross training into their training program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mike, hope your having a great time with your internship. Cross-training, I think, is a great benefit for an employer and an employee. It can boost productivity within the organization, and establish a sense of ownership and confidence within employees. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete