Thursday, December 9, 2010

ADA Parking Survey


The first real project that I was asked to complete was a survey of all handicap accessible spaces. The ADA has added a new suggested dimension for these spaces and ray needed to know how many spaces would be lost in each lot and how many would be lost campus wide. The new dimension is derived from the fact that most ADA vehicles have side lifts instead of end lifts. 

To accommodate this ADA suggested an increase to the width of the space to eleven feet and to reduce the width of the hatch area to five feet. So off I went with my sketch pad, ruler and measuring wheel. I surveyed every lot and parking structure on the Tempe campus that had Handicapped parking. In each lot I measured and sketched the current layout. Then I would make the suggested modifications and record whether we lost or gained spaces. The results of this survey was that the new dimensions would cost PTS a loss of too many spaces so no changes are planned at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment