Friday, December 10, 2010

Mass transit part 1


One of my passions is mass transit. I am a huge fan of mass transit. I use it for over 75% of my traveling. I use an express bus every morning and three nights a week, I use a combination of light rail and bus for my other trips. But I am fortunate to live in an area that the system works for me. Unfortunately for a vast majority of the Metro Phoenix area the Valley Metro system does not work for them. If you live west of 75th Ave, east of Power Rd., or in the far north or south valley there is very limited to no service available.

In my research this semester I found a study that was done in 2008 that found the State of Arizona spends an average of 3 dollars per capita. In comparison California spends 43 dollars and Utah spends 22 dollars. The only way we will achieve a functioning mass transit system is if we can elect politicians who see this first as a problem and secondly are willing to fight for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment